Monday 8 October 2012

Being A Student And A Disciple Is Not The Same Thing!


Of Gurus And Disciples By: Gurudevshri Rakeshbhai 
The relationship between a teacher and his student is mainly intellectual, not emotional; so their relationship is not very personal. To impart knowledge, exchanging words is all that is necessary. However, the relationship between a guru and disciple is very personal; it reaches the depths of the heart and soul. One needs to experience this relationship of Divine love. If the intellect keeps interfering with its insistence and obstinacies , then you will not be able to experience the guru’s soul and God-consciousness.

One glimpse of the guru and the disciple’s heart jumps with joy. The guru is pleased to see the disciple’s yearning, eagerness and determination. Sensing the worthiness of the disciple, a surge of love emanates from the guru’s heart. When this happens, there is no further need for any formal declaration. The disciple surrenders himself effortlessly and the guru establishes himself in the role of a master.
A Zen master once recalled an incident from his life. ‘When I first visited my master, I sat beside him for three years and he did not look even once in my direction. One day, he gave me a loving glance. That moment filled me with immense joy. Three years passed and then one day, he looked at me and smiled. His smile seemed like the most extraordinary blessing. After three more years, the guru stroked my head lovingly. How miraculous that moment felt. Another three years went by and then one day suddenly, he held me tight. That was it. I disappeared and so did he. All that remained was Oneness.’
How did this union occur? Over the 12 years, the guru dissolved the disciple’s ego completely, purified his mind and made him empty. Slowly, the disciple began to cast away his beliefs and attachments and develop feelings of love, faith and surrender.



No comments:

Post a Comment